We were in a home in Grand Junction CO. this week to replace smoke detectors that were just put in a few months ago. The reason for the change is that the client listened and checked on the information our staff shared about the dangers of IONIZATION type smoke detectors. We installed Dual sensing and wireless units that have programmable locations and talk. The other thing that the owner noticed when we were taking down the existing smoke detectors was that all of the wiring harnesses were cracked where the three pins attach from the smoke detector and the clips to ensure a tight connection have all been broken. Two of the existing smoke detectors did not even show that power was being supplied to the units.
Please visit this web site for Carbon and smoke detectors here is one of the links